Some time after the enactment of the Vocational Education Act in 1930, a small experimental vocational school was established in rented accommodation in Bridgetown village. Enrolment crept up slowly and in the 1960s the need for a permanent post-primary school in the area was fully accepted. So it was that on 18 October 1965, 44 students and five teachers moved from the rented accommodation into a new purpose-built school.
The school progressed in leaps and bounds and its facilities were greatly enhanced when two major extensions were completed, the first in 1984 and the second in 2008. With an annual turnover of some 120 students, the college has 642 students, 57 teachers, ten SNAs and six ancillary staff.